Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hawaii

Over the summer i went to Hawaii to meet my sister there as a half point.  She was stationed in Camp Walker in Dae Gu S Korea and i was coming from Tampa Florida.  I got to look around the beautiful main Island and check out the local "hawaiian" cuisine.

let me tell you, i had to remind myself that i was still in the United States because everything had a Asian feel to it. especially Japan.  It was an interesting and beautiful experience.



my little family







3 "cousins" climbing tree, and supposedly you can take one of the home with you after the luau
There was so much asian fusion going on it was difficult to distinguish the authentic Hawaiian cuisine.  One hawaiian restaurant served Galbee, eggs and rice as Hawaiian food.
I got to eat a lot of galbee, lots of bulgogi, lots of spam and lots of loco moco. 

Loco moco was something new to me so i tried 5 different loco mocos all over the island.  it seems like whether it is fine dining to your loco fast breakfast joint loco moco was always on the menu.  the best loco moco that i had was actually from a pub and sports bar by our hotel in waikiki.  loco moco tasted like hamburger meat with rice and eggs drowning in brown gravy.  i wasn't impressed until i tried it at the pub.  it had 3 scoops of rice with a nice flavorful hamburger meat loaf topped with over easy eggs and their signature brown gravy.  the secret is in the gravy.  It had a taste of  rich french onion soup with a hint of butter.  Delicious.   my version of Loco moco recipe was inspired by this dish.

my version of loco moco the recipe is coming soon
I came back from Hawaii and had a Luau of my own with my meet up group Lets cook Tampa.   
my hand in the poor piggys back during my Luau in tampa

this is my kalua pig, and in the boat is poki tuna and chicken longrice

I thought it went well,  i really captured the essence of Hawaii with authentic fusion foods like spam musubi (japanese influence), chicken long rice (chinese), kimchi and galbee (korean), lomi lomi salmon (native), poki tuna, loco moco.... and others.

pancake souffle with bananas

burgandy beef with rice and omlette

varieties of spam

limit 3 case per customer.... like you have to put a cap on how much spam you can buy...crazy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Meetup Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Premium Wordpress Themes